Picked a date, check!
Picked a venue, check!
Nailed down a menu, check!
Detailed your decor and theme, check!
Fell in love with a wedding cake design and flavor, no!
Finding that perfect cake can be overwhelming! There are so many things to consider – flavor and quality should be at the top list. How many weddings have you attended where the cake was a huge disappointment? We have all been there! Ask for a tasting of several flavors. Ask to see lots of photos. Ask for testimonials from other brides. You want to consider a few questions before you proceed with a baker.
Are they a professional baker?
- How long have they been baking wedding cakes specifically and how many do they do a year. A lot of practice makes for a lot better cake. You don’t want the family friend who does a cake a year or worse, your wedding being the first time they have actually done a wedding cake. You don’t want Publix that provides a manufactured mass production cake that won’t hold up during a reception and will have collapsed by the time cake cutting comes around. (Believe me, we have seen it all!)
- What can you find out about the baker’s service and quality?
- Do they have a plan to keep your wedding cake chilled until an hour before your reception? This can be a key in the humid months or for an outdoor reception.
- What options do they offer as far as customization? Can they recreate anything you envision or find a picture of? Are they a true artist?
- Do you get a complimentary topper at your one year anniversary? This could save you a lot of money on your cake because you can serve the top layer, plus you don’t have to suffer thru a stale year old cake at your anniversary.
As in anything related to weddings, do your homework! The cake is a focal point of your day! Have peace of mind going into your day!!